[SunHELP] Re: Netra1

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Feb 9 19:25:03 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, bran tregare wrote:

> Is a netra1 w/o powersupply, drives, ram not sure about CPU.... worth $47 bux?

Maybe, if you have a use for it, or if you can turn it around for more
pretty quickly. :)

Netra 1 is an Ultra 1 that would've shipped with some sort of customized
software load (NetraJ is Javastation server, NetraI is a general purpose
Internet server, NetraNFS is, guess what). You might be able to get a
power supply for it kinda cheaply, add RAM and a small disk and have a
usable Ultra 1. This assumes the CPU is still on the board (were they
removable?) and works. Since ready-to-run U1s can be had for about $200 or
less, you should see what a PS would cost before investing too much.

If you meant a Netra t1, it's a different beast. The t1 is a 1U machine
containing a SPARCengine CP1500 (I think) system board with nifty
mezzanine RAM boards that stack (no simms/dimms involved). It has a single
PCI slot on a riser parallel to the motherboard. The power supplies may be
harder to find, but as the t1 goes for $1k for the 360MHz and a bit higher
for the 440MHz, it might be more worthwhile to build up if you can find
the PS and RAM cheaply.

Hope this helps,
Rob