[SunHELP] E4500 disk questions

Randy Latimer randy_latimer at emtecinc.com
Fri Feb 1 10:53:34 CST 2002

Hi.

The E4500 has 8 board slots which can be populated with CPU/Mem boards,
I/O boards, and/or disk boards.  The I/O boards may be either PCI or
SBus boards.  The PCI I/O board will accomodate two standard PCI cards.
The Sbus boards will accomodate three Sbus cards.  The disk board has
two disks mounted on the board.  IF you install a disk board into the
system, you have to have an I/O board installed since the disk board
must connect via an external SCSI from the disk board to the I/O board.
I'm not sure why Sun says only four disk boards per machine.  Probably
because four disk boards would require two I/O boards for connectivity
via SCSI cables leaving only one board slot for the CPU/Mem board which
is minimal config for this system from a CPU/Mem board standpoint.

I do not know if a PCI card in a PCI I/O board can be used to connect
to IDE disks external to the system.  I do know that UniPacks and D1000
disks have been connected to the system for boot purposes.  Many
customers
do this to be able to maximize the number of CPU/Mem boards in the
system
since a disk board takes a board slot.

Hope this helps.
--
Systems Engineer                           |  |     ||    || NS  |  |