[SunHELP] Re: Disk mirroring on a SUN E450

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Aug 26 19:41:49 CDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 duke.glover at verizon.com wrote:

> Hello SUN gods,
>
> I have a SUN E450 with two 9 gig drives that I need to setup mirroring on.
> I have found instructions on how to do this for the Sparc platform.
> However I am unable to find instructions on how to do this for my system.
> Does anyone have a URL handy that might help ?

Your Sun E450 is a SPARC system, and as such, the instructions you found
might work.

Cheapest way is with Sun's Solstice Disksuite. This is a free add-on
download for Solaris 8 and is installed with a full load of Solaris 9. Check

	http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/ds/ds-disksuite/

if you don't have the SUNWmd packages installed (as root, run
"pkginfo |grep -i disksuite" to find it if installed). If you're running
Solaris 7, apparently you'll need the "Easy Access Server" pack that
normally shipped with the server media kit.

To answer your other email's question.`:

> Is mirroring something that has to be setup directly after the OS
> install or can you already have a functioning system (database,
> firewall, proxy) and then mirror the drive to another ?

You can mirror an existing partition to another. THere are different ways
depending on whether you can unmount the partition you want to mirror, and
you should expect a reboot to be involved especially if you plan to mirror
root or swap. Go to http://docs.sun.com/ and search for disksuite to read
the directions for these processes. They are not necessarily for the faint
of heart. :)

Good luck.

Rob