[SunHELP] re: making UID's match between boxes

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Sun Aug 25 09:50:56 CDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Wickersham [mailto:rjw at alembic.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 12:46 AM
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: [SunHELP] re: making UID's match between boxes

i've always heard that it is a _very_ bad idea to make UID's match on
different machines.    but i can't make a justification for that.

can someone comment on the issues and if it's only a bad idea to have
two UID's match if the usernames are different.

-ron

We run a small branch office that way - 3 unix boxes (15 users).
UID/Username are identical on all boxes.  Only observed problem is
administrative - it would be a big pain if we had more user churn there.

~brian