[SunHELP] Re: Q's about RAID on an E450.

Dave Gargan dave at spottedpaw.com
Thu Aug 15 12:26:01 CDT 2002

Solaris 8 does come with DiskSuite, but you have to look for it and
install it separately.  The new version has alot of advanced options,
such as soft-partitioning (finally).  It does come with a gui, but I
prefer the command line utilities, since they are more powerful.  To
check if the machine has DiskSuite installed, look for the SUNWmd
packages.

pkginfo | grep -i disksuite

The packages that are required are something like SUNWmdr, SUNWmdu,
SUNWmdx, SUNWmdg etc...  I'm not close to a disksuited machine right now
so those might be off a little.  It may be installed, but not in use
also.  To check if it's being used, have a look at the mount points in
your vfstab.  If there is an md driver in the paths to the disks, then
disksuite is being used.

I heard that there was some hardware raid cards available from third
parties for the 450, and a rumor that Sun eventually made some available
directly from Sun, but I'm not sure how you'd check short of opening the
case to see what cards are inside.

Dave