[SunHELP] tape drive compression

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Fri Aug 9 09:29:43 CDT 2002

Hello, I've got a E3500 here with an internal DDS-3 tape drive in it.

I've been doing backups using, ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0cn <filesystem name>

I believe that writes to tape using "normal" compression.  I do believe
that I've heard somewhere along the line that there is an "extra"
compression mode.  Would this be /dev/rmt/0mn (max compression)?

Right now I'm not worried about any extra time this may take, I don't wish
to get into incremental or multi tape backups if I don't have to.

TIA.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu