[SunHELP] Best Practices - NIC settings on Sun Hardware

Mon Aug 5 15:24:28 CDT 2002

Hello Sun Gurus,

I have a dilemma at one of our client sites where traditionally they have
set their NICs to "auto-negotiate" on all their Sun Servers and
corresponding switch ports. I'm a firm believer in setting both the server
NIC and the switch port to hard code 100mb full-duplex in order to get the
best possible speeds on a consistent basis. I was wondering if anyone can
point me to any Sun documentation or best practices that argue either point.
I would like to gather some momentum before bringing this point to
management, so any ammunition (umm I mean proof) would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Matthew Simoncini
Boston Scientific