[SunHELP] Disksuite 4.2.1 (Sparc) and IDE drives - known problems?

Frank-Christian Kruegel fchk at istda.com
Tue Apr 2 02:22:46 CST 2002

Hi!

Before going shopping I'd like to ask if there are known problems for
the following configuration:

The system is an Ultra AXe (Ultrasparc IIe 300 MHz 384 MB RAM) running
S8 MU6. The system runs on mirrored 9 gig sun scsi disks on a dual
channel Symbios controller. A mirrored pair of IBM 2 gig UW SCSI disks
is used for SCSI bus termination and home directories. The system is
up and running fine.

I'm going to add 4 WD 120 gig IDE drives and connect them to the
on-board IDE controllers and build a RAID5 on top on it. I know that
this is not going to be really fast, but I'll get rather many gigs for
rather few euros.

I'm thinking of using some 100 MBs from the 2 gig drive pair to make a
logging device and use the Disksuite's TRANS device instead of UFS
logging. Does this make sense?

Will this work?

Regards

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr|gel