[SunHELP] Repost: quotacheck problem

Tom Lieuallen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 18 15:31:46 CDT 2001

> I guess I should assume that by no response on my first message, nobody has
> any ideas...  But I'll send again just in case it fell through the cracks
> last week.

I had a problem very similar to this a while back.  We were running
quotacheck in a nightly script, just for good measure.  I opened a
call with sun and among other things, learned that running quotacheck
on a mounted file system is bad charma.  My guess is that it is okay
most of the time, but you might get bitten once in a while.

I stopped doing it, have installed multiple patches since then,
and eventually replaced our Solaris 8 E450 with a SF 280 (for other
reasons).  No more hangs.  Sun finally had a beta patch that they
wanted me to test.  However, I just don't have the same environment
anymore, so it wouldn't be much of a test.  Plus, I hate to rock
the boat...  :-)

I don't think you need to run quotacheck when you add a user, especially
if you setup the quota before they write files.  The only case where
quotacheck might help is if the user writes files, then you apply a
quota afterwards.

I'll mail you separately and see if the Sun Engineer would like you to
test his patch.  If they haven't tossed it already.  :-(

good luck

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University