[SunHELP] Moving Fibre Channel from Solaris_sparc to Solaris_x86

Thien Vu sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 30 02:51:12 CST 2001

Hi all,

For political reasons, we need to move a fibre channel array on a Qlogic
2100 HBA (PCI connection) hosted on a Solaris 7 (SPARC) to a Solaris 8 x86
box.

I was wondering if there are any issues that we might encounter (such as
byte-ordering). There are drivers for Solaris x86 on the QLogic web site,
so I'm pretty sure that the card will work in the new system.

I'm mainly worried about differences in the underlying hardware that might
result in problems seen at the OS level. Also, I'm wondering if the
partition/slices will be recognized correctly, or if I'm going to have to
backup, re-create partitions, and restore.

Thanks,

Thien