[SunHELP] limit user to home directory in ftp

Edward Chase sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 29 13:31:04 CST 2001

I'm looking to add a user to a Solaris 7 box that has only the ability to
ftp into the box and be locked into their home directory.

The entry in /etc/passwd is as follows:

test:x:1014:1:Test acct:/./export/home/test:/bin/false

This does keep the user from telnetting in, however I can't ftp in with the
user.

In Linux, I would need to make sure that /bin/false was in
/etc/shells.  I'm also not sure if the home directory entry would do what I
want in Solaris.

Scratch the shell question...  Man ftpd helped here.

I guess all that's left is how do I lock someone into their
directory?  (Using the standard ftpd)

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu