[SunHELP] multiview

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 28 11:51:39 CST 2001

Helmi Nur Alamin wrote:

> Do you mean that you want to be able to move a window between the two
> monitors ?
> Well, I never try this by myself, by this should work
>
> Edit the file  /usr/dt/config/Xservers
> Comment the last line, and replace with this :
>  :0  Local  local_uid at console  root  /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun  :0
> -nobanner  +xinerama -dev /dev/fb0 -dev /dev/fb1

It works, and very nicely, too. But the reason I don't do it is because
frame buffers of different capabilities will all default to the lowest
common denominator. So for example, my SS20 with two 4M VSIMMS (normally
@ 24-bit) and one CG6 (8-bit) with -xinerama forces all three displays
to 8bpp :-(

So instead, I do it thusly:

:0 Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/X -dev /dev/fb0 -dev
/dev/fb2 -dev /dev/fb1

fb0 is the built-in 13w3, fb1 is the daughter card for the second VSIMM,
and fb2 is the CG6. The reason they're out of order is that the VSIMMS
are driving 21" and 20" screens respectively, while the CG6 has a 16"
sitting on top of the SS20 in between the two. The screens are
automatically lined up in the order you list them. The are options for
placement also, if you want them piled up instead of lined up.

Doing it without -xinerama means you can't move windows across screens
(or if you can I haven't learned how yet), but the mouse travels all the
way across without a pause.

It rocks. I wouldn't mind xinerama, but it'll have to wait 'till I find
a reasonably-priced 24-bit sbus framebuffer.

---sambo