[SunHELP] ftp help

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 12:01:42 CDT 2001

Did you check the "/etc/ftpusers" file ?=20

>From "man ftpd" :=20
[ ... ]
Second, if the user name appears in the file  /etc/ftpusers,
ftp access is denied.
[...]

Note also that each user must have a valid shell in /etc/passwd :

>From "man ftpd" :=20
[ ... ]
Third, ftp access  is  denied  if  the  user's  shell  (from
     /etc/passwd)  is not listed in the file /etc/shells.  If the
     file /etc/shells does not exist, then the user's shell  must
     be one of the following:

                 /usr/bin/sh  /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/ksh
                 /usr/bin/jsh /bin/sh      /bin/csh
                 /bin/ksh     /bin/jsh     /sbin/sh
                 /sbin/jsh
[...]

Finally, check if '/etc/pam.conf' has not specific entries for ftp.

Again, from "man ftpd" :=20
[...]
SECURITY
     in.ftpd uses pam(3) for authentication, account  management,
     and  session  management.   The  PAM  configuration  policy,
     listed through /etc/pam.conf, specifies  the  module  to  be
     used  for  in.ftpd.   Here  is  a partial pam.conf file with
     entries for the in.ftpd command using the  UNIX  authentica-
     tion, account management, and session management module.

          ftp   auth      required   /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
          ftp   account   required   /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
          ftp   session   required   /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

     If there are no  entries  for  the  ftp  service,  then  the
     entries for the "other" service will be used.  Unlike login,
     passwd, and other commands, the ftp protocol will only  sup-
     port a single password.  Using multiple modules will prevent
     in.ftpd from working properly.=20
[...]

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE=20