[SunHELP] sendmail macro/ruleset

steve price sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 25 14:18:35 CDT 2001

Anybody profess to being good at writing sendmail
macros/rulesets?

Scenario.  Lone SS1000 at a remote site sends
reports/exceptions/etc. to various non-unix users.
Non-unix email system is exchange with an exchange
smtp gateway.  Everything worked until recently, when
suddenly exchange specific mail started getting
rejected at exchange smtp gateway.

Exchange admin swears (ok-right) nothing has changed.
Sendmail/SS1000 hasn't changed. No new patches,
reboots, nada.

SS1000 hosts file does not have fqdn, that is supplied
by Dj parameter in sendmail.cf - foobar.com.

All mail is routed to the exchange smtp gateway for
internal delivery to foobar.com or external to other
customers.

All mail sent by SS1000 external to foobar.com works
fine, gets relayed off exchange smtp gateway.

Testing of SS1000 reveals that if Dj parameter is
removed from sendmail.cf, and mail gets sent as
user at SS1000, everything works, even to exchange.

**But** can't use that easy solution as external
customers who get reports spam-check for reverse dns
fqdn of sender - else they throw the mail away.  And
their reverse lookup won't work with
user at hostname.domain.com, only user at domain.com. etc.

So what I need help with is a macro/ruleset that would
allow me to leave the Dj parameter intact, but would
strip it off if message is destined for exchange user
at foobar.com internally.

Any and all pointers appreciated (even if I've missed
it in the FAQ's <grin>)!