[SunHELP] MS Exchange and SUN mail client

Steve Wingate sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 22:48:32 CDT 2001

I seem to recall something about Exchange resulting in that, although you can use IMAP clients other than Outlook, you would only have access to the default folders if you did. This meant Inbox, Trash, Sent Items and Drafts (I think). This retriction holds for Outlook Express also. So I believe Outlook is the only FULLY compatible Exchange client, which is the way MS wants it.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:18:02 -0700
"Will Yardley" <william+sun at hq.newdream.net> wrote:

> Sangbutsarakum, Patai wrote:
>
> > Base on what I've know Exchange is proprietry,
> > so I use MS Outlook [not Outlook Express] and it run on window$
> > SUN can use/install POP3 daemon.
> > And Outlook support POP3 as well.
> > So, outlook should meet your require.
> >
> > This is only my idea.
> > If other pple has something better
> > let's share with us.
>
> i haven't used exchange but you can presumably use most pop3 and
> imap(??) clients with it.  personally i think mutt is the best email
> client ever, so if (for some awful reason) i was forced to use an
> exchange server, i'd probably use mutt via IMAP.  actually i'd probably
> use fetchmail to download my mail, process it with procmail, and then
> view it in mutt locally.
>
> pine is another client that would work either using POP and fetchmail or
> IMAP.
>
> if the original poster could clarify the question that might be helpful;
> it's a pretty vague question.  what type of mail client would you prefer
> to use?  do you want a graphical client? a text based client? i'd say
> stick with mutt or pine if you can, and get your email away from the
> exchange server as early in the process as possible!!

> --
> GPG Public Key:
> http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/

|Steve Wingate <stevew at velosystems.net>                  310.544.9920 |
|MCSE, CCNA, no JOB                      Wed Oct 24 01:59:00 PDT 2001 |