[SunHELP] I need an idea on window managers

Will Yardley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 22:29:16 CDT 2001

Paul Khoury wrote:
> I'm looking for a new window manager/desktop (not quite sure of the
> difference).  I looked at links from Bill's page, and I like GNOME.  I
> like CDE, but the colors are kind of drab (I have the S24
> framebuffer), and I'd love to be able to change the  background image,
> and I don't think I can do it in CDE.

i don't know about solaris specifically but i'm sure you can probably
change the bg image with CDE.  you could try 'xsetroot', 'xsetbg',
'xpmroot' or similar utilites.

i like windowmaker a lot; it's kind of ugly by default but you can make
it look pretty nice with some tweaking.  i find it easier to use and
more lightweight than other window managers which i guess is why i
always come back to it even when i try other window managers.

www.windowmaker.org

i'm pretty sure there are solaris packages for windowmaker.

a screenshot of my (slightly atypical) wmaker setup is at:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/geek/screenshot3.jpg (on freebsd / X11)

here's a random, more typical shot of windowmaker, with 'dock', 'clips',
and a gnome or kde taskbar.  personally i find the doc and application
icons to be kind of ugly so i get rid of them :p

fvwm is interesting too but a bit harder to configure.

http://infinitejazz.net/will/geek/new2.jpg

as far as the difference between window managers and desktops, desktops
like gnome and kde try to create a whole 'desktop environment' with
built in programs and tools; they are not usually a window manager
themselves; GNOME isn't a window manager, although it is usually
packaged with sawfish (which is); you can use a desktop environment with
other window manager; window managers like windowmaker have 'hooks' for
GNOME and KDE.

i prefer not to use a 'desktop environment' at all; they have limited
utility for my applications.

i've never used CDE but i've heard it's pretty darn ugly.

> Additionally, I'm not subscribed under the rescue list, so if you
> respond there, please cc to my address.

HTH.

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/