[SunHELP] console access

George Munk sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 17:01:09 CDT 2001

Dave,

Giving credit to "Greg" <gonufer at yahoo.com> who previously answered a =
similar question when I asked...

The "I" after /dev/term/a (or b) means that the serial line is being =
initialized only, the login prompt will not be displayed. The following =
commands are what I use in a script for the A port.

# Remove existing port monitor
/usr/sbin/pmadm -r -p zsmon -s ttya
# Re-create port monitor
/usr/sbin/pmadm -a -p zsmon -s ttya -i root -v `/usr/sbin/ttyadm -V` -fu \
  -m "`/usr/sbin/ttyadm -d /dev/term/a -s /usr/bin/login -l console \
  -p ttya\ login:\  -T vt100 -S y -m ldterm,ttcompat`"

Change ttya to ttyb and term/a to term/b. You may want to change the =
terminal type ("-T vt100"), login prompt ("-p ttya\ login:\ ") and/or the =
serial line characteristics ("-l console", see /etc/ttydefs).

Regards,
George Munk

>>> dbaldwin at networkinsight.com 10/23/01 10:00AM >>>
Hi,
I have read the admin guide and the man pages on this and still can't
figure it out.
I would like to be able to access an ultra 5 via ttyb.
the output of pmadm -l :
# pmadm -l
PMTAG          PMTYPE         SVCTAG         FLGS ID       <PMSPECIFIC>
zsmon          ttymon         ttya           u    root     /dev/term/a I
- /usr/bin/login - 9600 ldterm,ttcompat ttya login:  - tvi925 y  #=20
zsmon          ttymon         ttyb           u    root     /dev/term/b I
- /usr/bin/login - 9600 ldterm,ttcompat ttyb login:  - tvi925 y  #
=20
and sacadm -l:
=20
# sacadm -l
PMTAG          PMTYPE         FLGS RCNT STATUS     COMMAND
zsmon          ttymon         -    0    ENABLED    /usr/lib/saf/ttymon #
=20
So, it looks like everything is enabled but when I try to tip to
/dev/ttyb it just says "connected". then no login prompt.  There is a
monitor attached but I tried on a system with no monitor also and get
the same results.
Ultra 5 has Solaris 7
Any suggestions
=20