[SunHELP] Where does OS get the hostid ona Intel machine?

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 11:14:01 CDT 2001

I'm not sure which one andrew really wanted to know about, but
hostname != hostid.

>From the Solaris on Intel - x86 FAQ (http://sun.drydog.com/faq/):

  (7.5) My licensed software fails because the host ID is 0. What's wrong?

  Intel processor machines don't have an IDPROM, so Sun generates a serial
  number, hostid command or sysinfo()'s SI_HW_SERIAL, pseudo-randomly during
  installation. The number is stored in /kernel/misc/sysinit, whose only
  function, it appears, is to provide the serial number. If serialization
  information is tampered or sysinit fails to load, the host ID will be
  0. If you reinstall Solaris, sysinit will be regenerated and your host ID
  will change. So be careful about reinstalling Solaris if you have licensed
  software that depends on your host ID. Backup your sysinit file.

  To preserve the same ID (and therefore licenses), copy file
  /kernel/misc/sysinit to the replacement system. I understand the Sun
  Workshop Manual says this is allowed twice per calendar year (please
  verify this yourself).

  For more information, see the Sun NVRAM/hostid FAQ, available at
  http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html and
  elsewhere. This also has tools to fake hostids.

-David