[SunHELP] sendmail problems; adding new users

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 16:13:14 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:34:51PM -0400, Tom Savage wrote:
> We currently use sendmail 8.9.3 and recently are experiencing problems
> adding new users. This became apparent after attempting to delete an
> existing user using admin tool.   Attempting an ls -al in the
> /export/home directory returns an ./775  I/O error message.
> A 775 file also exists in this directory which I assume is referencing
> an misreported inode number.

It's probably not a misreported inode number;
it was, more likely, the semi-former user's uid.
If /export/home is on a local disk, I'd check
the messages file for errors -- /var/adm/messages.

I/O errors are in my experience most often caused
by hardware problems or filesystem corruption.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen