[SunHELP] no login prompt

Melinda Taylor sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 01:22:34 CDT 2001

Hiya,

I often come across this problem that when a user logs in (say
using ssh or telnet) the login hangs and they are not presented
with a login prompt ie:

Last login: Wed Oct 17 2001 06:07:59

Sun Microsystems Inc.   Solaris 2.6     Generic August 1997

          *** Welcome to the Dept. of Astrophysics ***

and just stops there without a prompt. If you send a control-C
you get a prompt which is ok. However if you are loggin
in from an xterminal there is no such ^C command
you can issue to advance the login - it just freezes.

Usually this associated with a share network disk
not responding (i am running solaris 2.6) but not today.

Any ideas how I can go about finding out what is causing this
login problem? A reboot fixes it but it would be nice
to find another solution.

Thanks,

Melinda