[SunHELP] vxdump to a windows device

Henry Buford III sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 18:29:59 CDT 2001

Given that I live only in the world of NetBackup and I do know that =
vxdump
is also part of one of our products (I honestly don't even know which
product), keep in mind that this answer may not be absolute. =20

I generally give the following rule of thumb:  if backed up in unix, =
restore
in unix.  If backed up in NT/2000, restore in NT/2000.  Even if you use
tar32.exe on an nt box, the tar format will tend to get mangled by the
windows OS.  A windows box can read it, but a unix box can not.  =
Solaris is
also capable of using block sizes that Windows can not handle.  There =
are a
lot of physical factors that tend to make this a bad idea.

Henry Buford, III=20
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, Sun Certified Solaris Admin I

VERITAS Software
NetBackup DataCenter/BusinesServer Technical Support
Senior Technical Support Analyst=20
VERITAS Technical Services
Tech Support: 1-800-342-0652=20
http://support.veritas.com=20