[SunHELP] login problem

Fletcher, Joe sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 03:48:33 CDT 2001

Ok. I had the same problem recently. 3 systems involved, one E450-Solaris 8,
one Alpha-Tru64 5.0A and one Proliant-SuSE7.0. Telnet from any one to
another showed the login delay. Adding entries for each system in the local
hosts file fixed the delay. None of the boxes are DNS registered. Some of
the
PCs in the office still have a login delay to the SUN. I guess I should
arrange to get everything into DNS but for the most part the PCs in our
offices have nothing to do with the unix systems and I have no control over
their management (yet).

There may also be an issue with cascaded switches. Some of our machines are
on mini-switches cascaded off a port on a Cisco 6500. I'm told that
sometimes this kind of setup can be unreliable.