[SunHELP] xhost question

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 01:43:18 CDT 2001

> I don't know why i must Export Display the ip address and then do a xhost +, so that my
remote browser in another PC would be able to view the image.

 If you can reword this so that it makes sense, then I
may be able to answer your next question. Otherwise
I would just have to make different guesses at what you
want and waste time for you, me and the rest of the list.

> my question is : how can i put the ipaddress of the server to some ini file, so that i
will not have to issue the xhost + command.

> xhost + is a very dangerous command. it might exposes some security risk.

 Uhm, yes it _is_ a security risk to do "xhost +". If you
read the manpage for that command it will tell you how
to use it and it will also agree with you. Why do you
think that you _have_ to issue "xhost +"?

 -david

p.s.- When you read the manpage look at the options
for "xhost family:name" which is a more secure use
than "xhost nodename". Obviously both are more
secure than turning off access control altogether,
which is what you are doing with "xhost +".