[SunHELP] Free Memory

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 03:13:20 CDT 2001

Be aware that Solaris 2.x will use every little available physical =
memory=20
for file-system cache. This space is freed up by the page scanner each=20
time free memory falls under "lotsfree" (or "cachefree" if priority =
paging
is
enabled on Solaris 2.6).

I would recommend you RMCmem package (available at sunfreeware.com),=20
which reports physical memory usage :=20

# prtmem
Total memory:           18122 Megabytes
Kernel Memory:            803 Megabytes
Application:             2813 Megabytes
Executable & libs:         56 Megabytes
File Cache:             12009 Megabytes
Free, file cache:         257 Megabytes
Free, free:              2188 Megabytes

Here we have 12 G used for file-system cache. Note that this space =
could be=20
given back to applications if they ask fo it.

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE=20
sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>  - (+33)
(0)5.57.26.56.36