[SunHELP] sendmail + solaris

Leslie V Brigance sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 4 10:05:19 CDT 2001

Any chance that you have permissions problems due to NFS mount issue(s) or
are all the filesystems local?

Les Brigance (Solaris  Admin)

David Bishop <tech at bishop.dhs.org>@sunhelp.org on 10/04/2001 09:54:25 AM

Sorry to send this again, but I never saw it show up the first time....

I'm trying to bring my network out from the stoneage of hand-written .cf
files (shudder), and also upgrade from sendmail 8.7.x to 8.12.1.  I'm
starting
at the edges and working my way inwards, so my first box is just a
workstation that will end up as a nullmailer, relaying to the mailhub.  My
sendmail.mc is incredibally small, consisting of:
<blah>
OSTYPE(solaris2)
FEATURE(`nocanonify')
FEATURE(nullclient, pemailhub.micron.com)

Now, on to the problem(s).

1)  We don't use dns, just nis.  All lookups go through nis, if they aren't
local then the master server looks it up via dns and returns it via nis.
However, sendmail doesn't want to follow the rules setup in nsswitch.conf,
and complains about not being able to lookup the fqdn of the host it's
running on.  How do I tell it to either not care or look it up via nis
(which
it was doing previously, apparently, because we didn't have this problem).

2)  I had to add the user/group of smmsp, which is fine.  However, when it
tries to write to the queue directory it complains that it doesn't have
permission.  I have chown'ed and chgrp'ed /var/spool/mqueue to smmsp, set
it
to 755, and finally in desperation, 777.  It still says it can't "create
create queue temp file ./tff93LldIK014485".  So, I figured, it's not using
/var/spool/mqueue as the queue directory anymore.  So I check the generated
sendmail.cf and it has "O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue".  Then I decide
to write you guys :-) Here's the ls -l output:
drwxrwxrwx   2 smmsp    smmsp        512 Oct  3 15:48 mqueue/

Any hints/tips/ways of enabling debug output (sendmail.org basically said
"look at the code", which isn't too helpful), I would greatly appreciate
it.
This is on a ss20 running solaris8.
--
D.A.Bishop