[SunHELP] devfsadm ??

Harvey, Tom sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 2 11:19:13 CDT 2001

I'm trying to move a boot disk between and es250 and an es450.  We are using
the es250's as development machines and the es450's are our primary
machines.  So we expect to move a disk back and forth numerous times between
them.  These identical harddrives with the O/S installed on them etc so we
want to be able to boot off the disk in either machine.

So I wrote a script to do the necessary configurations but I ran into some
snags.
Both machines are running solaris 8.

what I do:
1) mount disk from es450 in es250.
2) run defsadm -v -C -r /mnt
3) cp /etc/path_to_inst /mnt/etc
4) change the hostnames, fstabs etc.
do the same thing again when I want to go from es250-> es450

Problems:  I was able to go from the es450 to the es250 1x.  It failed when
I followed the same procedure to go to the es450 config, not sure why.
	So I put the disk back in the es250 and ran my script to configure
it for the es250 again.  But now all the links in /dev/dsk and /devrdsk are
starting at c2t0d0so...c4t5d0s7  I don't understand why the links aren't
being remade starting at c0t0d0s0...c1t5d0s7 anymore!!

any ideas?

-- Tom

Thomas J. Harvey
tom.j.harvey at lmco.com