[SunHELP] query about ufsdump

Dunbar, Brian sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 30 00:49:14 CST 2001

Eh.  We do a ufsdump on volumes while they are mounted - but at 3 a.m. when
no one is using the system.  I too, when I arrrived (my first 'real' unix
admin job) asked why we didn't unmount the volumes like the book said to do,
and my manager had a good technical reply as to *why* it was okay.

I DO recall that, years ago  when I was backup admin on an AIX system
hosting a 'mission critical' database, we forcibly logged all users OUT,
then ran the backup, and let everyone back in when the backup script was
finished.  I didn't know beans about unix then, just following the
directions in a binder...