[SunHELP] query about ufsdump

Gil Young sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 30 00:13:06 CST 2001

Although technically you should make sure the state of the file system is
unused or offline, I have done backups live like you speak without an issue
for the past, oh, 13 years, on file and print server type systems, as long
as the backups are run at 2-3 AM or so it is pretty safe to assume noone
will be there to mess with their files during the backup.  But if you are
running a database you will probably want to make sure that the database is
in a down or offiline state before backups.  It is never good to backup a
live database while it is being used, and it is better stillto get backup
software that is savvy to your particular database and can automatically
handle a "live" backup if that is a major goal.

This is all IMHO.

Gil Young
Call Sign: W1GJY