[SunHELP] how do Tatung Ultra 10's hold up to Sun Ultra 10's?

Mike Nicewonger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 15:16:38 CST 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, you wrote:
> Since my quest to find a cheap Ultra 1 200E has failed and I was shuned from
> buying a flimsy ultra 5... I was looking into a Tatung Ultra 10 clone.
>
> How do these machines stack up to it's Sun cousin?
>
> Is $450 (a touch over what I wanted to spend)shipped for these specs a good
> deal?
>
> 333mhz
> 512mb RAM
> 4.5gb HD
> 12x CDRom
> Creator 3D
> keyboard/mouse

The Tatung machine is far better than an Ultra 10. It is built around the Sun
Engine AXi. It is SCSI based (2 Ultra wide channels!!) instead of creepy IDE
like the U10. The other thing I really like is that it is in a PeeCee ATX case
so you have choices if you need more space later.

That looks like a reasonable price for that machine with big memory. I own one
and am very happy with it.

Mike N