[SunHELP] mounting "/" as "logging"

Joshua Fielden sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 11:45:02 CST 2001

We mount every filesystem in our company, and I mount every filesystem at home (UFS and VXFS) logging, with great results. The slight hit on / and /var in time more than pays for itself with crash-resistance.

JF

TAG DBA quoth, on Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 05:27:19PM +0530:
> From: TAG DBA <dbatag at tatainfotech.com>
> To: "'sunhelp at sunhelp.org'" <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [SunHELP] mounting "/" as "logging"
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:27:19 +0530
>
> Hello,
> We have a Sun E450 with Solaris 8.
> I want to mount my root filesystem (ufs) as "logging".
> I just wanted to check with u all if there are any issues regarding mounting root with "nologging" option.
> (most of my other filesystems have been mounted "logging")
>
> Recently one of my shutdown scripts in rc0.d got stuck - and I could not
> get the system down - had to turn it OFF (bad thing to do)
> When I restarted I had to do a fsck of "/" filesystem.
> Thats why I was planning on mounting "/" as "logging"
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> ~aslam

These days I sit on corner stones
And count the time in quarter tones to ten, my friend
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them