[SunHELP] cant backspace/delete during login

Jan Johansson sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 02:04:35 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 11:00:49AM +0530, TAG DBA wrote:
>I am aware that the delete key can be set like (in .profile
>etc): stty erase "^H"
>
>This works fine after the user has logged on. BUT while logging
>on (while typing username or password) I can get the delete key
>to work.  Hitting "Delete"/"Backspace" only produces :
>
>login: asdaf^[[4~^[[4~^H^H
>
>And then I have to wait for the second login attempt.  I checked
>/etc/default/login - but could not figure out a way to set a
>appropriate delete key so that a user could correct his typing
>mistakes during login.  Could someone help me out ?

Is this a vt100 terminal, a xterm or what?

To get an understaing of the problem you can read
http://www.squish.net/delbs.html, I do not know if that is the
correct solution as I have found noone to trust enough on this
problem yet.

My solution was to map Shift+Ctrl+Backspace in xterm[2] to do
set-backarrow(toggle) [1]. This changes the backspace key in
xterm but does not help much on console.

xterms can also use Ctrl-Backspace for changing between ^? and
^H.

[1] xterm*VT100.Translations:       #override\n\ Ctrl
      Shift<Key>BackSpace:       set-backarrow(toggle)

[2] By xterm I mean a recent version of the one included in XFree
http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.html, it compiles nicely on
Solaris 8.