[SunHELP] cant backspace/delete during login

TAG DBA sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 18 23:30:49 CST 2001

I am aware that the delete key can be set like (in .profile etc):
stty erase "^H"

This works fine after the user has logged on. BUT while logging on (while typing username
or password) I can get the delete key to work.
Hitting "Delete"/"Backspace" only produces :

login: asdaf^[[4~^[[4~^H^H

And then I have to wait for the second login attempt.
I checked /etc/default/login - but could not figure out a way to set a appropriate
delete key so that a user could correct his typing mistakes during login.
Could someone help me out ?
Thanks and Regards,
~aslam