[SunHELP] Printing from Solaris to NT queue

Will Enestvedt sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 15:06:19 CST 2001

Dear Sirs and Madams;
   I'm having problems getting my Solaris 2.6 systems to send print jobs
through Windows NT 4 print queues properly, but I _can_ get them to
spool locally when set up with HP JetAdmin.
   The JetAdmin process works: I end up with a printer (named "appix")
that spools locally and gives me good output. This is fine as far as it
goes, but I'd really like to off-load my print spooling to the NT boxes
and their administrators!
   In an effort to link a local printer name with a remote (NT 4) queue,
I issue the following command:
-----
# lpadmin -p appixq -s pvdres02\!appix -I PostScript,simple \
 -T PS -D "HP200dn-Appix"
-----
   But when I run 'lpstat -p all' or 'lpstat -p appixq' I get a message
that the printer appixq doesn't exist. (This doesn't worry me much, as
the file still gets sent to the printer.) See, a text file sent to the
local (HP JetAdmin) queue comes out just fine, but one sent through the
NT queue "stair-steps" across the page. This leads to my actual
question: is my setup of the Solaris queue (named "appixq") the problem,
or is the NT queue mis-handling my incoming request?
   My initial suspicion is that the Solaris queue (named "appixq") which
just forwards to the NT queue is mis-configured, since the local
JetAdmin queue works fine. I can't force too many things on the NT
queue, since I will be sending PostScript through it. (But are the NT
admins filtering my print jobs and I just don't know it?) I tried to
make the queue named appixq behave like the JetAdmin queue, but lpadmin
returns an error message telling me that I can't use the -e option on a
remote printer.
   I have read the Summary on the web at:
     http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/sunhelp/2001-April/010022.html
   ...but the instructions it includes are for SCO. Clearly I am missing
a few vital pieces of clue; can anyone help me? Many thanks in advance.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator