[SunHELP] help for our server running slow!

Leslie V Brigance sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 08:45:49 CST 2001

I have some of the same problems, but can't add the entry to hosts because
the workstations hitting it get their addresses from DHCP and change daily.
They & the dhcp server are also outside my control so I can't even extend
the
reservation time.
 Any suggestions from anyone as to how to help resolve that?
TIA

Les
Subject:  Re: [SunHELP] help for our server running slow!

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 09:09:19PM +0000, shivraj yadav wrote:
> Thanks for responding Steve. BTW, by slow i meant that anything i do on
that
> server takes a long while to respond.
<snip>
>No, there are no DNS issues .. since
> the response is the same even if i "telnet" to its IP-ADDRESS.

You misunderstand the problem. The problem is reverse DNS lookups. The
Sun box is attempting to resolve the name of the machine you're
accessing it from. If it cannot do that, it'll wait for a minute or so
before connecting you. This is a frequent problem.

On the Sun box add an entry for the host you're accessing it from.
Use finger on the Sun box to make sure the IP you're on from resolves.

--
Brian Scanlan, Systems Administrator.
Irish Times New Media - http://www.ireland.com