[SunHELP] NIS Configuration error

Bruce Pullig sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 12:45:19 CST 2001

Yes I faced this after jumpstarting a machine, then trying to change the
NIS domain.  I too verified /etc/defaultdomain and domainname.   If you
will look at the /usr/sbin/ypinit script you will see that it is failing to
find /usr/bin/domainname and that is causing the error.  I even tried to
put the full path in for domainname.  I'm not sure why that didn't work, it
should have.

My solution was to change the following lines in /usr/sbin/ypinit.  It
should fix your problem too.

****Original lines****
def_dom=`domainname`
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
     echo "^GCan't get local host's domain name.  Please check your path."
         exit 1
fi

****Change to****
def_dom=yourNISdomain

Good Luck

Bruce

   Bruce Pullig
   Senior Systems Administrator
   Schlumberger Oil & Gas Information Solutions
   Data Management Center
   5444 Westheimer, Suite 800, Houston, TX 77056
   Phone: 713.350.4217  Fax: 713.350.4102
   bpullig at slb.com