[SunHELP] Re: Advice requested on UltraSPARC-III reboot problem

Kent Fitch sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 23:54:26 CST 2001

Thanks for replying Mike:

Mike wrote:

> What machine is it that contains the 750Mhz?  Is it the right
> machine for the CPU?  Is the CPU just replaced? and the kernel
> compiled with different CPU/architecture? was there any new
> software upgrade?

It was an "out of the box" new machine as delivered by Sun with
a single 750MHz processor. Immediately post-purchase (ie,
before we started using it), a DVD and extra 18GB drive were
installed by Sun engineers.

> > Nov  7 16:37:52 aserv SUNW,UltraSPARC-III: [ID 185311 kern.warning]
> > WARNING:
> >  [AFT1] Uncorrectable system bus (UE) Event on CPU0 User Data Access
> at
> > TL=0,
>
> The above lines would indicate the kernel panic due to problem with
the
> system bus and rebooted, happens on CPU0 (multiple processors system?)
>
> Just guessing on my part from the errors, you should provide more
> information to see if anyone else can figure it out...like system
arch.
> (do uname -X) upgrade machine? new hardware/software added? which OS
> version you're running, etc.

Thanks - yes, uname -X:

System = SunOS
Node = aserv
Release = 5.8
KernelID = Generic_108528-10
Machine = sun4u
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

uname -a:
SunOS aserv 5.8 Generic_108528-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

It is running Apache 1.3.20, Tomcat, Oracle 8.1.7.1, Java 1.3.1:

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-b24)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1-b24, mixed mode)

Kent Fitch
AustLit gateway project http://www.austlit.edu.au