[SunHELP] Tar & exclusions

Steve Wingate sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 12:07:14 CST 2001

I'm trying to get tar to exclude backing up the /dev/fd directory but I can't get it to work. It still gets stuck on scrolling "a /dev/fd/0 0 tape blocks" forever. This is a Sparc20 w/no floppy at all. Here is the command I'm running:

# tar cvX excludes /

The excludes file contains the following
/proc
/dev
/etc/mnttab
/var/run
/tmp
/cdrom
/devices
/floppy

I tried a test by running "tar cvX test /var" with the test file only containing
/var/run
and it worked perfectly. I don't see the difference in the two commands besides the target. What am I missing here? And yes, I've been reading 'man tar' for many many hours. I tried putting "/dev/fd" in the excludes file also to no avail. I HATE man pages w/o decent examples.
This is Sun tar, not gtar.

|Steve Wingate <stevew at velosystems.net>                  310.544.9920 |
|MCSE, CCNA, no JOB                      Wed Nov  7 09:17:01 PST 2001 |