[SunHELP] Installing an 20 GB IDE disk on Ultra 10 under Solaris 2.6

Peter Stokes sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 08:04:37 CST 2001

Hi

The reason that 2.6 only reports 8Gb disk is due to the disk reporting it
only has 8Gb in terms of cyls/heads/sectors. This was a PC BIOS issue (I
think) and 2.6 driver only looks at these parameters. Sol 8 looks at the
drives differently and hence can use the full capacity. The way Sun get
around this with the 9Gb disks is because the Seagate 9Gb reports the
cylinders etc differently to the normal disks. So if you can find a disk
which reports the cylinders correctly, 2.6 may work with >8Gb disks.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)1636-627900