[SunHELP] remote shell

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 6 12:12:10 CST 2001

Usually rsh messages are either :

"Connection refused" if the rshd daemon is not started on the remote =
server.
Or "permission denied." if the rhosts files are misconfigured

In your case it seems the the bind() syscall fails due to a lack of
privilege.=20
Don't forget that remsh binds a socket on a privileged port (<1024) to
authenticate itself to the
remote host. Only root can bind a socket on a privileged port on Unix.

Maybe you should check  that the sed-uid-bit is set for /usr/bin/rsh.=20
Here is a 'ls -l' output on Solaris 2.6 :

-r-sr-xr-x   1 root     bin         8772 Jul 16  1997 /usr/bin/rsh

If you get  "-r-xr-xr-x", then : "chmod u+s /usr/bin/rsh".

In last resort, send us a truss output of the command :

rsh hostremote df -k

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE=20
sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>  - (+33)