[SunHELP] remote shell

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 6 10:21:43 CST 2001

If you're using hostnames in your .rhosts file, make sure both nodes
involved can ping each other based on those names (i.e. each machine is in
the other's hosts file). Make sure the permissions on the .rhosts files are
600 (i.e. readable and writable only by the user). Check to make sure the
r-services are enabled in /etc/inetd.conf, for example...

shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rshd       in.rshd
login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rlogind    in.rlogind
exec    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rexecd     in.rexecd

If you're rsh'ing as userA on node A to userB on node B use the -l flag to
specify the user on the remote machine.

Will.