[SunHELP] Too many files open ?

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 13:35:44 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:35:53PM +0100, Michael Karl wrote:
> Hey Nicholas,
>
> what to do when a sun is hanging so hard, that you must switch of this
> machine. I think, there is no crash dump after turn on and booting.
> Please remember ... black screen (ok screensaver) ... no ping ...
> no stop/a ... and no messages ?!?!

With Stop-A, you could just to Stop-A, then type
'sync' at the ok prompt.  If you don't have Stop-A,
I'd suspect a problem at a level lower than the kernel
itself.  I suspect an keyboard or console device driver
problem, or something worse, like a system board or CPU
problem.  Those are just guesses.  All I can say for
sure is that something is wrong if you lose the ability
to do Stop-A.  I don't know what else you can do to force
a crash dump, unfortunately.  If this is an important
machine and you have a Sun support contract, I'd open
a ticket and be ready to escalate it quickly if the machine
locks up like that again.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Regards,

Nicholas