[SunHELP] Ultra10 power supply

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 1 14:14:28 CST 2001

steve price wrote:

> Before I buy a sun part number (which I will probably
> do this afternoon), I was wondering if anyone has
> successfully grafted a standard atx pc power supply
> into an ultra10?  What concerns me the most is that

> Anybody with first hand knowledge?

Yes. In order to match the amperages that the Sun ps puts out, you'll
have to find a 500W atx model (CompUSA has them). Then you have to
modify it slightly. If you look at that second connector, you'll see the
one on the U10 has some black wires and some orange wires. (doing this
from memory 'cuz I don't want to open up the U10 right now...) If I
recall correctly, the orange is 3.something V. The standard atx supply
has one of those orange wires replaced with a red one (5.something V)
which would be a Bad Thing to plug into your U10.

Change that red wire and it should work. Don't change it, and everything
will fit, but you'll fry your CPU.

Good luck!

What's wrong with your ps, anyway? Mine was a bad solder joint, which I
fixed. Didn't end up using the 500W one anyway...

---sambo