[SunHELP] Synching time with NT machines

Joe Pampel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 1 12:40:05 CST 2001

There are a bunch of freeware ntp clients for NT that seem to work well. =
I'm using one of them now
as a MOF. http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm  It runs over TCP 123
You can configure it for 2 ntp servers. Only caveat is to alter the log =
settings on the clients to allow
overwrite as necc as the drift data gets logged for some reason..  I've =
had it on our net for a few months now
syncing off of our main server and no problems to date. (server gets =
stratum one pulse, workstations sync to
our server..)

>>> Steve Wingate <steve at velosystems.net> 11/01/01 12:39PM >>>
My understanding is that NT4's net time command only understands netbios; =
it's not a real ntp so I don't believe it will talk to a ntp server, =
unless your Solaris box is running Samba and it can be referred to by a =
netbios name. ie "c:>net time \\solaris /set /y" would work as opposed to =
"c:>net time \\a.b.c.d /set /y" which probably won't.=20
solaris =3D netbios name assigned to Solaris box
a.b.c.d =3D being the IP address of the Solaris box
The NT4 reskit has a real ntp client. Otherwise this has changed with =
Win2k.

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:05:05 -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> In Message: 3 From: OFrayman <OFrayman at VerticalAlliance.com> To:
> "'sunhelp at sunhelp.org'" <sunhelp at sunhelp.org> on Wed, 31 Oct 2001
> 14:41:04 -0500 ...
>=20
> >
> > I have been trying to use rdate to sync times with my NT boxes, but I =
get
> > connetion refused.... Please help!!
> >
>=20
> I found that the easy way to do this was to run the Solaris machine as a
> time server and synch the NT boxes to it, rather than the other way =
around.
>=20
> On Solaris, either run xntpd (see the man pages for details) _or_ add a
> proper ntpdate command to your root crontab.  xntpd would be more =
accurate,
> but wants more network resources.
>=20
> On the NT boxes, use the scheduler or the "AT" command to run a "NET =
TIME"
> command periodically.  NET TIME has an undocumented "/yes" option to
> suppress prompts so you can run it this way.
>=20
> On the PCs, I run "netdate" which, although its author says is obsolete, =
is
> an excellent freeware time-setter.  It would be a good alternative for =
NT,
> too, if your site's policies allow you to run outside freeware on =
servers.
>=20
> So, my little site is a "time tree."  The Solaris box synchs to a number =
of
> remote Stratun 2 time servers, and I synch the NT boxes and desktop PCs =
from
> the Solaris box.
>=20
> -Shel
>=20
>=20

|Steve Wingate <stevew at velosystems.net>                  310.544.9920 |
|MCSE, CCNA, no JOB                      Thu Nov  1 09:17:00 PST 2001 |