[SunHELP] remote ufsdump

Michael Conlen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 19:37:27 CDT 2001

Let's go uncompressed:compressed with AIT-2. One drive will pull
6MB/sec:15.6MB/sec [their compression numbers]*. Let's translate to
networking stats, that's 48Mb/sec:124.8Mb/sec. There you go, your 100Mb
connection is toast. If you use more then one drive then your really going
to blow it.

In setting up a network backup server I recomend a gigE port for the server.
I remember Cisco makes a switch with 100Mb/sec ports and 1 gigE port. This
works well, except the damn Sun cards can't auto negotiate with the switch
(bastards!). This works well 'till you have 8 drives, then, well, at that
point your going to be buying an E450 or larger just to do backups
(presuming your going to 8 drives at once durring the backup).

*do you belive their compression numbers? I'll let you know how AIT-2 does
with our data when budget is free again.

--
Groove On Dude
Michael Conlen
meconlen at obfuscated.net