[SunHELP] What do you think about that for Solaris 8?

Michael Conlen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 18:57:08 CDT 2001

There are still the issues of filling up a file system, espically root.

I like to keep root very, very minimal. Totally non-growth. Now, I haven't
tried filling up root on Solaris 8, but I can't imagine the results would be
good if everything else is there as well. Having the logs on /var makes it a
growth file system, which can easily filled by the syslog() call by anyone.
/opt has software installed on a regular basis, and /usr/local probably has
a lot of software installed on most systems. They don't grow the way /var
does, but would you like to find out that /var growth caused /opt to have no
space while installing something?

I tend to go with

/
/usr
/usr/local
/var
/opt
/tmp

on systems I bulid. I haven't build a large login server, but if I did I'd
do a /home partition as well.

While this makes the building and management a little harder, I've never had
a box do really whacky things because a file system filled up. (really
whacky things are defined by something that does't have anything to do with
what caused the problem)

--
Groove On Dude
Michael Conlen