[SunHELP] fsck, metadevices, and metadb replicas

Ann Waters sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 09:47:02 CDT 2001

Hi Listers,

I've got a couple of questions in regards to fsck and DiskSuite metadevices and metadb replicas.  Assume I have the following configuration:

metadb replicas on dedicated slices /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 and /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s5
submirrors metadevices:	/dev/md/rdsk/d1 on /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6
				/dev/md/rdsk/d2 on /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6
full mirror metadevice:		/dev/md/rdsk/d10 comprised of /dev/md/rdsk/d1 and /dev/md/rdsk/d2.

My questions are:

1.  When fscking, will the slices housing the metadb replicas (c0t0d0s5 and c0t3d0s5) check out correctly?  (I'm thinking that those slices don't contain a true filesystem that fsck can handle).
2.  For the mirror/submirrors, do I fsck the actual slices (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6 and /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6), the submirrors (/dev/md/rdsk/d1 and /dev/md/rdsk/d2), or the full mirror (/dev/md/rdsk/d10)?

I'm trying to put together some directions for someone to do this without my presence and I want to make sure that any errors that do show up at fsck time are due to filesystem problems and not incorrect filesystem, etc.  Unfortunately, I don't have a sandbox that has mirrors and dedicated replicas to try this on.

Thanks in advance for any/all info.

Ann Waters
Kaiser Permanente
Silver Spring, MD