[SunHELP] What do you think about that for Solaris 8?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 09:12:21 CDT 2001

> One File System or Two?
> Over the years there has been debate about whether to use one large file
> system for
> the entire Solaris Operating Environment installation or, multiple smaller
> file
> systems. Given modern hardware technology and software enhancements to the
> UNIX Fast File system, the case for multiple file systems seems
> anachronistic

  No, it does not "seem anachronistic". You probably want to read up on the
arguments in favor of multiple file systems. They range from easing administration
duties, assisting security, aiding performance, etc...
  Besides, if you are in need of using swap space then I'm sure that you are at least in
favor of 2 filesystems as opposed to just one (if not more).

 -david