[SunHELP] booting from cdrom

Ann Waters sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 14:05:15 CDT 2001

Okay, listers, what in the heck am I doing wrong here?....

I need to boot from cdrom so as to run an "fsck -of" against all filesystems on one of my servers.
I have tried this on two servers using the CD labelled "Solaris 2.6 Software 5/98 Server Configuration".  In each case,
I have gotten to the ok prompt and have typed "boot cdrom".  On one server, I wind up getting the error message:

Short disk read			(SparcStation 20)

On the other server, I get the message:

failed to read super block	(Ultra 5)
failed to read super block
Boot load failed.
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.

Am I doing something wrong with my boot command (ie. does it need some other argument/option)?  Can you boot a server
from ANY Solaris type CD?  (I've also tried using the CD labelled "Solaris Server Intranet Extension 1.0".)

Thanks in advance for any/all information.

Ann Waters
Kaiser Permanente
Silver Spring, MD