[SunHELP] Urgent ! - VLAN 802.1q

Dave Bartlett sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu May 24 06:22:30 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 07:03:45AM -0400, Dave Bartlett wrote:
-> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:55:44PM +0600, Chanaka Mendis wrote:
-> ->
-> -> No , You can apply truncking for hme , qfe or any.
-> -> But you need atleast two interfaces.
->
-> You are incorrect.  Sun's *trunking* software is not really *trunking*,
->  it is ETHERCHANNEL.  It it taking multiple pipes and making them into
->  one.. that is not TRUE TRUNKING...
->
-> Supposedly the NEW Sun gigabit card supports 802.1q... but it is gigabit
->  over copper.  Sun's NEW gigabit over fiber (which supposedly supports
->  802.1q) isn't supposed to be shipped until July.
->
-> IntraServer/LSI Logic which bought Alteon does have a gigabit card which
->  does fiber, but their drivers have some bugs... you have to be careful
->  which switches you connect it to.

I should clarify my statements... this thread was about vlans using a
 single hme interface... what was said is correct.. you don't need to do
 anything with the Sun.  The switch will deal with it since you are only
 using a single vlan with the Sun.  If you wanted the sun to do multiple
 vlans, then you would have to try a NEW Sun gigabit card, or the
 Intraserver/LSI Logic gigabit card.

You use etherchannel (which Sun calls trunking) when you want to combine
 several pipes into one.. for performance/bandwidth reasons... such as
 taking a quadcard and having the 4 100mb ports now be a single 400 mb pipe.
 That is NOT 802.1q.

802.1q can be described as running several vlans over a pipe.  There are
 several reasons for doing that... such as a lack of interfaces on the
 Sun, or to make better use of the pipe.

 - dlb