[SunHELP] Issue/motd

Ron Rosson sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 23 08:33:48 CDT 2001

* Melinda Taylor (melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au) [010522 20:02]:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone found any good programs for sending login messages
> to users when they logon. Just system specific advice
> and info. I curreently put stuff in /etc/motd
> but that I believe is only read if they start an xterm
> with the 'xterm -ls' option.
>

> Is there some little piece of software that will alert
> people to messages from the admin independents of whether they
> are using X, which X they are using etc??

On FreeBSD there is msgs. I think it is what you are looking for. Its
just a small 10k C files as source. If you have trouble locating it let
me know and I will look at the license and see about tar balling it up
and sending it off.

HTH
Ron Rosson          			      ... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 			      rm -rf *
insane at oneinsane.net     	            and all was /dev/null and *void()